Easy Steps to make Passport Online – 2018
An Indian passport is a passport issued by order of the President of India to Indian citizens for the purpose of international travel. Passport is the most valued ID document and only ID proof that is internationally valid and recognized.
It enables the bearer to travel internationally and serves as proof of Indian citizenship as per the Passports Act (1967). The Passport Seva (Passport Service) unit of the Consular, Passport & Visa (CPV) Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, functions as the central passport organization, and is responsible for issuing Indian passports on demand to all eligible Indian citizens.
Types of Passport –
- Ordinary passport(dark blue cover) is issued to ordinary citizens for ordinary travel, such as for vacation, study and business trips (36 or 60 pages). It is a “Type P” passport, where P stands for personal.
2. Official passport(white cover) is issued to individuals representing the Indian government on official business. It is a “Type S” passport, S standing for service.
3. Diplomatic passport(maroon cover) is issued to Indian diplomats, top ranking government officials and diplomatic couriers. It is a “Type D” passport with D standing for diplomatic.
Tatkaal passports (for urgent needs) and Short validity passports (SVP) are also available, and these are generally considered Ordinary passports once issued. A passport with 36 pages has 31 pages for Visa and immigration stamps. A passport with 60 pages has 55 pages for Visa and immigration stamps. The validity of both the passports is the same. The number of pages is the only difference. The standard passport contains 36 pages, but frequent travellers can opt for a passport containing 60 pages.
Online Application for a passport facilitates you by booking an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or passport center. It has been introduced to ensure avoiding congestion at the Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) and cutting down the waiting time for applicants. Appointment date/time will be allotted automatically as per the availability of appointment slots at the desired PSK.
Steps to make passport online –
- Go to the Passport Seva website.
- If you are already a registered user here then you can directly login by selecting the green button using your user id and password.
- If you are visiting the website first time or not registered with it, then you need to register by selecting the “New User? Register Now” orange colour button.
4. A new page for registration will open. Fill all the necessary required details and submit the form by selecting the ‘Register’ button.
5. A confirmation email with a link will be sent to your email ID, go to the link to activate your account on Passport Seva.
6. Login to apply for the passport. After that go to the link “Apply for Fresh Passport/ Re-issue of Passport”.
7. You will get two alternative options here, go to the link in Alternative 1 and Select State and District. After that in the ‘Passport Type’ field choose the options as per your requirement, then carefully fill all ‘Applicant Details’ and press button “Save My Details”.
8. Go to the “Pay and Schedule Appointment” link on the “View Saved/Submitted Applications” page to schedule an appointment.
9. Choose Payment Mode and Pay the passport fee online. Once you pay and schedule book the passport appointment, you will have to go to the link “Print Application Receipt” take print out and visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/ Regional Passport Office (RPO) where appointment has been booked along with your original documents to process your application.
10. After that a police verification process initiated if required. Once the Police Verification Report (PVR) reached to Based on the recommendation report, your Passport will be printed and dispatched your address by speedpost.
Documents Required For Fresh Passport Application –
You should carry the at least 2 photocopies of the required documents along with their originals.
- Current Address Proof: Aadhaar Card, Voter ID card, Driving License, Landline Phone Bill, Gas Book, Bank Book, etc. anyone of them.
- Date of Birth Proof: Birth Certificates, Class 10th Passing Certificate, Aadhaar card, PAN Card, Driving License, etc. anyone of them.
- Standard Affidavit Annexure E.
4. Documentary proof for any one of the Non-ECR (Previously ECNR) categories.
5. Your recent colour 4.5 x 3.5 cm size photograph, with plain white background and your dress should be in dark colour.
Any applicant born on or after 26-01-1989 was bound to submit the Birth Certificate as the proof of DOB. The new rules will allow individuals to submit digitally signed birth certificate as a valid proof of DOB. To view complete instructions for filling of passport application form and documents list, visit Passport Seva website and download the ‘Instructions Booklet’ pdf file and read it carefully.